Skip to main content

Child of Eden - A Game Review

The Box Art
Child of Eden is a visually interesting, though not particularly stunning game. The premise is fairly simple: Shoot crap. It's a rail shooter, which means you are stuck in one linear place moving back and forth shooting crap.  The interesting part is that when you shoot things it has a drum beat, that drum beat accents the game's own music at times which adds a cool dimension to playing.

The game makes use (on the PS3 release) of the PS move motion controller. I only used the move controls as I thought they would allow for the most fun experience.  The move provides a decent level of control although at times I felt them to be sluggish and a bit of an impediment... then again I may have simply been too close to the screen.

The story is kind of a bit weird. There is a girl named 'Lumi' who apparently needs to be saved so we have to shoot strange geometric shapes in Space in order to uh... rescue her?  Ok so I am not really very sure on that one. There is however a stunning video which runs before the story mode in which Lumi gets pixelated and requires us to play the game.

Graphically, the opening video is gorgeous and shows well on an HDTV. The actual gameplay graphics seem simple but the waving and undulation of the simple shapes is really quite interesting.  The backgrounds are also quite bleak but this helps the neon shapes glow brighter and really pop.  The tunnel sections are also quite fun with the designs on the background helping to give the illusion of speed.

The music in the game is also quite pleasing. It is a bit poppy, a bit dancey, a bit techno-ey all at once and somehow this weird mixture really fits.

Overall this is a decent game which you can pick up for a good price.  If you like rail-shooters go out and give it a try.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ESL Writing Tips - Paragraph Structuring

I've been working on some writing materials for a course I am supposed to be teaching next week, so I thought I would get the ball rolling by making a post about basic paragraph structuring. What is a paragraph? The most basic thing to learn when tackling writing a paragraph is to understand the relationship between the components and understand the definition of a paragraph. Our end result is the paragraph but before that we must have some sentences, those sentences are made up of words, those words come from ideas, and hopefully our ideas have a theme or topic. To sum up a paragraph is a bunch of words on on topic organised into a series of sentences. Simple right?  What are the parts of a paragraph? So glad I asked because I have a picture just for this: So Informative Many learners do not pay close enough attention to the impact that a good topic sentence can have. In order to have a good topic sentence you must ensure that you have indeed made a logica

Free coffee

well today, as some of you malaysians may know, starbucks was giving out free drinks today between 12 and 2pm.  it was a mystery frapp with no whipped cream (for shame) with red beans or tea jelly depending how lucky(or unlucky) you were. I wasn't really bothered one way or the other because  the love of my life    my favourite barrista was there. In true, giving out free crap fashion the line had to have about 50 people in it and took the better part of 30minutes to get through.  I had once on a whim calculated how much I get paid per minute of life... let me tell you... my free frapp cost me in that equation... lucky we don' count life that way or else we would never find the joy in free coffee.

Urbanfresh at Setia City Mall

I recently made the unfathomable trip from my home to Setia City Mall in Setia Alam Malaysia. I was, of course, in search of interesting shopping and imported food. Some background. For those of you living in Setia Alam congrats on picking a beautiful place to live; however, my condolences as you all live in the bloody boonies!  Setia City is an INCREDIBLY nice mall with a fine selection of shops and F&B outlets, but unfortunately no game stores or Chilis (TGIFridays? Really? Ugh.) I stumbled upon a grocery store that looked quite up-scale and my import sense started tingling. What a classy place with words like Urban and fresh right in the name it must be good. The pillar says "fresh food" for seal's sake so come on! They had this interesting apple display going on at the front of the store.  This is actually a cardboard tree with apples all around it. It is a neat idea... I just hope the apples didn't grow on cardboard! The fresh fruit and veg