Skip to main content

Five things that make me WANT to hire you

Yesterday I wrote a list of things that would deter me from hiring a person, but why was I so negative?  I think it is a lot more entertaining to see 'worst of' lists but it is really not so encouraging.  In this frame of mind I thought I would write 5 things that would make me want to hire a person and add a few notes for each one. 

So without further ado a detailed list of five things that make me WANT to hire you

5. Be confident

This might seem like an obvious thing but you would be surprised how many interviewees I have had come in with little to no confidence in themselves or their ability.  It is tragic to me that some of the best potential employees, I have met with, lost out on a job because they did not wake up, look in the mirror and say 'I can do this.' On the flip side or the dark side there is arrogance.  Please be careful with your confidence. Telling the person interviewing you that you can do their job and their boss' job better because of your god-like abilities may not be the best approach.

4. Have a relevant and updated resume/CV

The topic of resume filler was actually brought up rather well on the hit show How I Met Your Mother. In the episode some of the protagonists had listed items on their resume that were not current or even doable for them at the time and forced each other to remove the items.  When you critically look at your resume think of what you would like to showcase as important to the particular job you want.  For myself, I have had to sift through hundreds of CVs and resumes in some of our recruitment drives and having an unfocused resume can take a top applicant and move them to obscurity.  You want to be an accountant but you wax on about your days as a carpenter in your uni days... that was 1978! WAKE UP!!  Bottom line: Concise! Relevant! Current!

3. Have clear, focused answers

Everyone who knows me knows that I love to spin a good tale... I will chew any and all fat with you, but this isn't necessarily a good trait in an interview.  Sometimes a very simple question will be a deal breaker for an employer and they will want a clear answer on that question when they ask it. The worst possible thing you can do in this situation is to ramble on. Perhaps you do this because of nerves, or you want to answer that question in your own way, maybe you really want to make a good impression.  The bottom line is you will probably not make a good impression and if you stray off topic there is a very good chance that you could leave the interviewer confused, annoyed, or just plain bored!
The solution is clear. Take a breath. Relax. Say only what you need to say.  Do not worry about showing your brilliance it will come through naturally (if it exists).

2. Be on time and be prepared

Punctuality means a lot in an interview. You may be scheduled in a certain allotted time and you may only have 30 mins or less to make your impression. The hiring committee may have many other applicants and would just love to finish earlier (or get a coffee break) because you rolled in fashionably late.  Despite the chance for a respite (groan, that wasn't witty) you will leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth. I mean you could not be bother to come in on time so maybe we're not at the top of your list. Why should you be on ours?
Being prepared is always a plus.  I have seen all the extremes in this area and I greatly appreciate all those people who are over prepared. Different companies have different needs as do different employers.  I probably do not need to see your reference letters or your transcripts if I have not asked for them, but if you feel comfortable to bring them BRING THEM.  If your job may need a certain certificate that you have but have not been asked for BRING A COPY! If you needed something even as simple as a copy of your resume and you are without it you may well lose a good opportunity.
Come on time and be prepared... is it really so difficult?

1. Dress for success OR if you throw something on DO NOT MISS!

I'm a simple guy.  I always have my sleeves rolled up in my office especially when I am doing something in the classroom.  For an interview formal is never a bad thing. The items I tend to look at are whether or not the potential employee is dressed for the job they are applying for. When we have looked for a cleaner I have never said 'this guy/gal should have worn an Armani business suit.'  However, I would expect them to look clean and presentable.  The same adage goes for the teachers I hire.  My dress code is smart casual, so when you come for the interview you should be at least smart casual.  Referring to my previous post I have seen flip flops, I have seen ripped pants, I have seen casual capris, I have seen unbrushed hair, and I have seen obscenely revealing shirts (on both genders!) and skirts (thankfully not on males).   On the flip side I have seen VERY smartly dressed applicants with well kept hair, clean shoes, and formal/semi formal clothes that fit (and are worn properly.
I'll let you all figure out which style of dress is more impressive.

And that's the way I see it!

Comments

  1. I like all your tips and I apply them to all my interviews :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember clear focused answers... no swearing Hsing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to disagree on the last, in that you can be too formal. It's weird when I'm interviewing potential software developers and they come in with a suit and tie. That said, you should probably dress better than you normally would.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey did you read the last one Eron? we are actually almost agreeing... maybe I threw you off by saying 'formal is never a bad thing.' by that I mean that it is better to be over dressed than under...
    That being said...

    My main point is to dress at least professionally to the industry/job you are going into.

    Funny thing is that I don't really remember the people who were 'adequately' dressed only those on either end of the spectrum!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ESL Writing Tips - Paragraph Structuring

I've been working on some writing materials for a course I am supposed to be teaching next week, so I thought I would get the ball rolling by making a post about basic paragraph structuring. What is a paragraph? The most basic thing to learn when tackling writing a paragraph is to understand the relationship between the components and understand the definition of a paragraph. Our end result is the paragraph but before that we must have some sentences, those sentences are made up of words, those words come from ideas, and hopefully our ideas have a theme or topic. To sum up a paragraph is a bunch of words on on topic organised into a series of sentences. Simple right?  What are the parts of a paragraph? So glad I asked because I have a picture just for this: So Informative Many learners do not pay close enough attention to the impact that a good topic sentence can have. In order to have a good topic sentence you must ensure that you have indeed made a logica

Free coffee

well today, as some of you malaysians may know, starbucks was giving out free drinks today between 12 and 2pm.  it was a mystery frapp with no whipped cream (for shame) with red beans or tea jelly depending how lucky(or unlucky) you were. I wasn't really bothered one way or the other because  the love of my life    my favourite barrista was there. In true, giving out free crap fashion the line had to have about 50 people in it and took the better part of 30minutes to get through.  I had once on a whim calculated how much I get paid per minute of life... let me tell you... my free frapp cost me in that equation... lucky we don' count life that way or else we would never find the joy in free coffee.

Urbanfresh at Setia City Mall

I recently made the unfathomable trip from my home to Setia City Mall in Setia Alam Malaysia. I was, of course, in search of interesting shopping and imported food. Some background. For those of you living in Setia Alam congrats on picking a beautiful place to live; however, my condolences as you all live in the bloody boonies!  Setia City is an INCREDIBLY nice mall with a fine selection of shops and F&B outlets, but unfortunately no game stores or Chilis (TGIFridays? Really? Ugh.) I stumbled upon a grocery store that looked quite up-scale and my import sense started tingling. What a classy place with words like Urban and fresh right in the name it must be good. The pillar says "fresh food" for seal's sake so come on! They had this interesting apple display going on at the front of the store.  This is actually a cardboard tree with apples all around it. It is a neat idea... I just hope the apples didn't grow on cardboard! The fresh fruit and veg