Skip to main content

Urbanfresh at Setia City Mall

I recently made the unfathomable trip from my home to Setia City Mall in Setia Alam Malaysia. I was, of course, in search of interesting shopping and imported food.

Some background. For those of you living in Setia Alam congrats on picking a beautiful place to live; however, my condolences as you all live in the bloody boonies!  Setia City is an INCREDIBLY nice mall with a fine selection of shops and F&B outlets, but unfortunately no game stores or Chilis (TGIFridays? Really? Ugh.)

I stumbled upon a grocery store that looked quite up-scale and my import sense started tingling.

What a classy place with words like Urban and fresh right in the name it must be good. The pillar says "fresh food" for seal's sake so come on!

They had this interesting apple display going on at the front of the store.  This is actually a cardboard tree with apples all around it. It is a neat idea... I just hope the apples didn't grow on cardboard!

The fresh fruit and vegetable section. They have a fairly good selection of organic food if that is your kink and a variety of local and imported produce. I picked up some organic bitter gourd and some non-organic broccoli I was going to buy some onions but they were mulchy. Fresh no... urban yes.

These mushrooms were a great deal at only RM5 per container. On close inspection you can see why... the price label says they are generic nothing special here but a good bargain!


There was a huge stock of frozen items but generally the same stuff you can find at other import shops. The ice cream section overshadows any of the best stocked Village Grocers or Cold Storage and its only rival is  Jason's Food Hall

Holy Jimmy Smit it is Cap'n Crunch and Crunch Berries!!!! At Rm 25 per box these are not for the weak of mind or light of wallet.

Instant noodles from around the world! They have got a huge selection of Korean food items but most of them are noodles and snacks... wait isn't that the best food from Korea?

The non-halal section was nothing to write home about. They have the usual assortment of items you can find anywhere and everywhere else. The one huge plus for me was the bologna which is a guilty pleasure of mine. I recommend it extra thick cut and pan fried.

Do you all like wine? Any wine drinkers in Malaysia listen up. Stop swishing, decanting and saying stuff like 'full bodied with nutty nuances and traces of pumpernickel' and listen. There is more wine here than you could shake a stick at. I have never seen such a nice selection at any grocery store except for BIG at Publika.

My last stop was to the cracker and biscuit aisle. I had nothing to buy there I just wanted to do the full circuit.

All in all I give the following ratings out of 10. 1 is the worst 10 is the best.

Location: 4 (depends where you live)

Ambiance: 7 (bright and well laid out)

Selection of local goods: 8 (all the stuff you would expect)

Selection of foreign goods: 7 

Freshness: 6

Non-halal: 7 (pulled down by the meat)

Price: 8 (not priced like an import store)

The final word: if you are in the area definitely give it a look.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ESL Writing Tips - Paragraph Structuring

I've been working on some writing materials for a course I am supposed to be teaching next week, so I thought I would get the ball rolling by making a post about basic paragraph structuring. What is a paragraph? The most basic thing to learn when tackling writing a paragraph is to understand the relationship between the components and understand the definition of a paragraph. Our end result is the paragraph but before that we must have some sentences, those sentences are made up of words, those words come from ideas, and hopefully our ideas have a theme or topic. To sum up a paragraph is a bunch of words on on topic organised into a series of sentences. Simple right?  What are the parts of a paragraph? So glad I asked because I have a picture just for this: So Informative Many learners do not pay close enough attention to the impact that a good topic sentence can have. In order to have a good topic sentence you must ensure that you have indeed made a logica

Free coffee

well today, as some of you malaysians may know, starbucks was giving out free drinks today between 12 and 2pm.  it was a mystery frapp with no whipped cream (for shame) with red beans or tea jelly depending how lucky(or unlucky) you were. I wasn't really bothered one way or the other because  the love of my life    my favourite barrista was there. In true, giving out free crap fashion the line had to have about 50 people in it and took the better part of 30minutes to get through.  I had once on a whim calculated how much I get paid per minute of life... let me tell you... my free frapp cost me in that equation... lucky we don' count life that way or else we would never find the joy in free coffee.