Skip to main content

There is no place like Wimpy's Diner

Popeye likes spinach and Wimpy likes burgers... given my immense physical prowess it is obvious to see who I have more in common with...

Menu showcasing their
signature oblong Burger patty
We went to Wimpy's on an unforgiving late January Friday lunch and had a great meal and a pleasant dining experience.  It had been a couple of years since I ate at Wimpy's and it was a fine time to com back! I actually have fond memories of this place as it is a place that my father loves and it always brings a smile to my face to go here with him. Location is everything in the world and this place is located in a good place just up at the top of Lundy's Lane Niagara Falls, Canada beside the outlet mall.

Where the people at?
Today, however, they were not being killed with customers. In fact, we were the only ones there!   It was OK though I actually enjoy being the only diners sometimes as you can feel like you are there to seriously judge and inspect the food and if you are me... you do! Now the decor here was actually quite fun.  Just imagine the hard rock cafe without all the rock but all the kitsch: that's Wimpy's and it suits him PERFECTLY.  actually the only odd thing in the decor was this bizarre LCD TV set up where they showed some video/slideshow of "famous" events related to Niagara Falls. Perhaps if I hadn't been to Niagara Falls exactly one bazillion times this might have been more interesting, but I would have loved to see something else... anything else... even the extremely rare Wimpy sex scandal tape(which I just made up).

The lighter side!? Wimpy was a fat guy...
leave the green stuff for popeye!

I was trying to get a picture of the burger BTW
So the world is wondering what I ate... must be the burger right?  WRONG!  Just when you think I am gonna zig that is when I don't zag it is actually when I order the most unpredictable menu item: A Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich.  Why the Philly steak you ask while pounding your head on the nearest solid object. Well quite simple, two years ago on a gusty January afternoon I ordered a famous Wimpy burger and thought I should explore the menu. Expect... the unexpected. I received something unexpected... the sandwich was very much lacking in flavour. It was quite disappointing as a little more cheese and this would have been a pretty good sandwich. Luckily I added some of my second order to the sandwich.

The second item I ordered was one of Wimpy's Poutines.  They are allegedly not very famous, however, they are unique and i can attest to that.  I ordered 'Le Poutine' guaranteed to be the most French sounding poutine name until it comes out of my mouth... somehow when I said 'Le Poutine' it sounded kinda Malaysian. 'Le Poutine' is an idea that is so incredibly weird and gross sounding that it has only two options: totally awesome or totally awesomer. 'Le Poutine' is a mix of french fries, chopped shaved corned beef, diced pickles, cheese curd, and Wimpy's gravy (it isn't famous but it is renowned in some circles). The poutine was awesome. The mixture of pickles in the gravy sounds like hell but it was in fact divine

 In the end I can say that the atmosphere, the friendly staff, and the poutine made Wimpy's a great idea and a great lunch.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ESL Writing Tips - Paragraph Structuring

I've been working on some writing materials for a course I am supposed to be teaching next week, so I thought I would get the ball rolling by making a post about basic paragraph structuring. What is a paragraph? The most basic thing to learn when tackling writing a paragraph is to understand the relationship between the components and understand the definition of a paragraph. Our end result is the paragraph but before that we must have some sentences, those sentences are made up of words, those words come from ideas, and hopefully our ideas have a theme or topic. To sum up a paragraph is a bunch of words on on topic organised into a series of sentences. Simple right?  What are the parts of a paragraph? So glad I asked because I have a picture just for this: So Informative Many learners do not pay close enough attention to the impact that a good topic sentence can have. In order to have a good topic sentence you must ensure that you have indeed made a logica

Free coffee

well today, as some of you malaysians may know, starbucks was giving out free drinks today between 12 and 2pm.  it was a mystery frapp with no whipped cream (for shame) with red beans or tea jelly depending how lucky(or unlucky) you were. I wasn't really bothered one way or the other because  the love of my life    my favourite barrista was there. In true, giving out free crap fashion the line had to have about 50 people in it and took the better part of 30minutes to get through.  I had once on a whim calculated how much I get paid per minute of life... let me tell you... my free frapp cost me in that equation... lucky we don' count life that way or else we would never find the joy in free coffee.

Urbanfresh at Setia City Mall

I recently made the unfathomable trip from my home to Setia City Mall in Setia Alam Malaysia. I was, of course, in search of interesting shopping and imported food. Some background. For those of you living in Setia Alam congrats on picking a beautiful place to live; however, my condolences as you all live in the bloody boonies!  Setia City is an INCREDIBLY nice mall with a fine selection of shops and F&B outlets, but unfortunately no game stores or Chilis (TGIFridays? Really? Ugh.) I stumbled upon a grocery store that looked quite up-scale and my import sense started tingling. What a classy place with words like Urban and fresh right in the name it must be good. The pillar says "fresh food" for seal's sake so come on! They had this interesting apple display going on at the front of the store.  This is actually a cardboard tree with apples all around it. It is a neat idea... I just hope the apples didn't grow on cardboard! The fresh fruit and veg